Dilemma #1: Growing Belly...and everywhere else
- Comfort is key - Sure you want to look good chillin' by the pool but it's important that your suit fits well. There is nothing cute about tugging and pulling at the fabric to make it fit. Old Navy is having a great sale now on maternity swimsuits. (see some styles pictured below)
- Built-in support - suits with built in bras are essential for supporting your chest as well as for decreasing strain on your shoulders and back. I advise expectant aquaBelly moms to wear an additional sports bra under their suit when exercising.
- Racer-back - these suits are especially easy to wear. Try on maternity suits as well as traditional suits in sizes larger than you wore pre-pregnancy. Finding the right swimsuit is essential so don't be afraid to try on a variety of styles both maternity and regular.
- UV Protection - according to the American Pregnancy Association, your skin may be more sensitive to the sun's UV rays while you are pregnant. You may also be more susceptible to Melasma, the dark patches that appear on your face during pregnancy. Wear hats and sunscreen while in the sun. aquaBelly sunshirts/rashguards are perfect for sun protection and additional coverage.
Dilemma #2: Post-Pregnancy Belly
- Diagonal shaping and patterning - bathing suits that have diagonal color-blocking or shaping trick the eye & brain into thinking the waist-line is smaller, making the midline look more defined.
- Strapless or V-neck styles - why not draw attention to your "assests" while you've got them? These styles draw the focus up and away from your belly.
- Ruched fabrics - small pleats, rucking, and scrunching can camouflage your bigger belly while still looking cute & trendy. Be careful not to overdo the embellishments or you could get the opposite reaction. Think "streamlined"!
- Figure-shaping styles - look for suits made out of stretch fabrics like nylon-spandex blends, or with tummy-control panels to give you a toned appearance. We all know the "little black bathing suit" is a girl's best friend, but why not be daring and try some bold patterned suits! I would suggest staying away from big florals, just into you get back to your ideal shape. Try the "Magicsuit" exclusively at Victoria Secret. (pictured above)
- Tankini - they're not just for little girls anymore! Choose one that skims loosely over the midsection. Soon enough after you exercise & eat right, you will be rocking a sexy monokini or side-cut out suit!