Well, this happens to me often. As a busy, most of the time “working out of the home Mom” of 3 kiddos (ages 8, 5, 13 months), this is a daily struggle. It comes to a head at this time of year as the two older kids are home from school for the holidays, the baby doesn’t want to nap because the big kids are far too entertaining, and I still have the house turned upside down from all of the Christmas presents that need to find homes. When I don’t workout, I honestly feel like garbage. I have a low thyroid condition that screws with my metabolism, my digestion, my energy, and so forth and without some daily moving, I get cranky...very cranky. So, what can I do to get my workout in? In the past week I've found these options super helpful!
Top 5 - No Time for Exercise Workouts
- Take the Kids to the Pool! Yes, I realize it’s December and this won’t work for many people, but the point is that all 3 of them can go with me. I can do a few crunches while sitting at the steps with the baby, some walking lunges using her as my resistance, and play sharks and minnows with the big kids getting my “run” on in the water, which provides 12 times the resistance of air. So when I cannot get to an aquaBelly Baby™, this is a great alternative.
- At Home Workout with the Kids: Since kids are so impressionable, I can use this to my advantage. Once I've convinced them to exercise with me I give them each a set of 1 pound weights or start a push up contest, and voila, instant family workout.
- Go for a Run: Strap the baby in the stroller & get the big kids to take turns being my running partner while the other sits on the front of the stroller with the baby. This adds resistance for me carrying an extra 45 pounds to the already 18 pounds of baby normally in the stroller. So while I'm not going fast, the "running" child can keep up but I get my booty kicked by pushing the extra weight & getting my jog on simultaneously.
- Wake up Early: I like to get my butt up early before the kids are up (this is my usual plan), even though this week I could have slept in without having to get them ready for school. This way I get my run in at the gym or doing an at-home workout alone. Since it’s still dark out at this time, this must be something done indoors or with a partner, if say, I were running outside.
- Enlist Friends: My family & neighbors are in the same boat as me with having the kids at home. We love to get together for kid and adult friendly active games. Whether it's a snow ball fight (ahhh a Florida girl can only wish) or a game of tag, all the running around is a fantastic cardio workout. Really... who needs the gym?!
So while I’m not completely a workout fiend, I can become a fiend without one. If you are ever struggling to find the time, man, I’ve been there! Join me on the aB Fit Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/aBFitClub/ with some other time-pressed ladies to get some more ideas and motivation to get you to your “best body ever.”